Saturday, March 26, 2011

promenading into the past....

   Dear Readers,
 Thou shalt travel back into a time when knights raged, elephants were given as gifts, and stunt men juggle chain saws. Okay - maybe not the last part. But if you travel to Apache Junction, AZ, you will find all of those things - even the stunt man!
  For our home schooling excursion this week, we went to the Renaissance festival. And may I say it was a blast!  There were buildings that looked exactly like that from Renaissance time, and in them we got to watch a glass blower at work, see two knights duel, (although the beautiful paint horses were my favorite part), watch a stunt man juggle a chainsaw, knife and apple, and THEN (as if that weren't enough to give any decent person sitting in the second row a heart attack-I was praying!) he held the apple in his mouth and sliced it in half with a chainsaw. I was thinking 'I would really hate to see this man go to the emergency room just for the enjoyment of others.' But you know what? No one was injured and that was Benjamin's (who was sitting in the BACK row!) favorite part of the visit. 
   I had the amazing oppurtunity to -are you ready? - RIDE AN ELEPHANT!

oh, to wear such old-fashioned splendor as this!

It was amazing. And I loved how he flapped his ears every time he took a step. So magestic! Cate and Mom had a great experience,too - they got to ride a camel! The camel was so sweet looking and I took about a dozen pictures of Mom, Cate, and Sahara.
     We also heard an Irish folktale over our lunch, held a goose in a diaper, listened to a Travelers' Saxophone, heard a beautiful harp, and just had an amazing day learning. Field trips are my favorite way to learn! So, now, allow me to stop talking and put up all the pictures!





I love the colors here...
See the strength in this beautiful horse?
                           
<>
And the only slightly cheesy performance!
And go to this...






We watched a vase start as this...



And end as this! I hope you'll excuse the not-so-great photos.


My real life Dumbo was precious!
  I know that chain is for safety, but can't help but think of Mrs.Jumbo. : (
I love the curled up trunk - but hate the chain. Just sayin'.

My view - looking down from my elephant, I snapped a shot of his friend!


<>
Sorry if my pictures are blown up - I'm having difficulties with Blogger, and can't figure out how to fix it. Please keep scrolling and enjoy! Each of you are in my prayers. Your Blogger,
      Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment