Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ribbons, bows, and beauty in God's eyes

Dear beautiful Readers,
   As you all can see, I've been running kind of low on blog ideas lately. There just has not been enough time to sit down and compose a post! I wrote (and even published!) one on how much I've missed my parents while they have been in Italy....but it was the size of a novel and merely my ramblings so I ended up deleting it. :) I wrote another a few weeks ago on a lovely little boy named Harrison, who is Deaf and listed on Reece's Rainbow. For some reason that one never posted!! I ask that all of you pray for this precious boy who so desperately needs a family. What a world would be opened to him if he was blessed with a family to teach him sign language!!

     Any way, there I go again...rambling! I really did have a reason for this post, however.
It is going to be a lot different than my other posts, though...so hang with me! It's really only aimed at the girls, so if you are a boy you are going to be sorely disappointed!! However, I'm really not sure that any boys would visit a blog titled Claire's Calico Corner...go visit Caleb's Camouflage Corner or something like that! hahaha


When you see this picture, what do you think of? Does it excite you as you think of your next shopping spree and how much fun that will be? Does it make you wish you had jeans as cute as these? Does it make you think "Oh, I would never look that good in those, but they would look cute on so and so!" 

I don't really like shopping for clothes for myself. I enjoy shopping for my mom or sister, or  shopping for gifts, or even shopping for myself as long as it isn't clothes. When I see that picture it doesn't excite me at all...it just makes me realize that I would never look that good in those! 
   Clothes shopping produces a very bad effect on me, haha! It puts me in the absolute worst mood! Ask my mom--even if we go to her friend's (who sells clothes out of her home) house to look around, I get in the most depressed mood when asked to try anything on! I feel like just stepping in front of the dressing room mirror triggers every insecure thought I have ever had to come rushing back at me. Even if I find something that I like, it will most likely sit in my closet for months as I wear one of the two outfits I feel comfortable in that season. 
If it was up to me we would all be wearing one of our two calico dresses complete with bonnets and petticoats. 


According to my sweet sister, I, however, do not "know fashion". I have to say, though...if the above picture is fashion then I am glad not to know it! :) 
My heart breaks for so many around the world....but sometimes I think I tend to forget that so many people right next to me are struggling with the same things I am. I forget that I'm not the only person who feels insecure. In fact, the very people who cause me to feel insecure--like the model above--themselves struggle with feelings of insecurity. I was talking to my mom about this very thing the other day...
Why do so many women (in fact probably every woman!) struggle with feeling like they are not pretty enough? Why  are we always trying to lose that dress size? Why can't we just get together and love one another without stressing over being underdressed or overdressed, looking fat or looking thin, wearing enough makeup or too much? Why are we always comparing ourselves to everyone--even those we love most? 
Sometimes I think it is so hard for us to believe what the Bible tells us--that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. 

My heart is absolutely broken over this fact. I so wish we all could just not struggle with this!! I wish when someone told me I was beautiful it would make me  instantly not struggle with insecurity any more. I wish I could tell all of my friends that they are beautiful and have them not struggle with insecurities anymore. But sadly it doesn't work that way. Would it help if we got rid of the kind of clothes pictured above and wore pioneer-style garb? Probably not. We still would find things wrong with ourselves. 

But, even if you are not going to believe me, I'm going to tell you any way----

You are so beautiful!!!!


There.  We are all beautiful. Because we wear makeup? No. Because we have cute clothes? Nope! Because we work out with a trainer? No again! 

We are all beautiful because we are made in God's Image! 
                           "So God created man in his own image,
                                              in the image of God he created him;
  male and female he created them." ~ Genesis 1:27

"Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—  but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." ~1 Peter 3:3-4

   God sees all of us as being so beautiful. He formed us, and He loves us. When we say we are not beautiful it is like we are telling God that His Handiwork is not beautiful. He didn't sloppily pull you together--He gently and lovingly formed you out of the immense love He has for you.  He looks at you and He sees your heart, not your makeup or what size jeans you wear. He sees a person who is made holy by the blood of His Son. And that is enough for Him. 

 If it is enough for God, shouldn't it be enough for us, too? Who cares if the rest of the world thinks all that counts is if you can fit into that (hideous!) yellow dress up there... God does not care about that in the least. 
       I can't wait to get to Heaven and have all of us realize how beautiful we are. Suddenly all of those dress sizes, diets, and whatever will be so unimportant. Because we won't be worried about how we look---we will be unable to take our eyes off our beautiful Savior.

BUT until that day comes I think it should be every woman and girl's mission to uplift, not tear down. Let's help each other finish the race strong! Did you know that 7 million American women have an eating disorder? Or did you know that 20% of people who have anorexia will prematurely die from complications from this disorder? In fact,  Eating Disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. What harrowing statistics...absolutely heart breaking. Can you imagine your best friend dying from an eating disorder? These aren't just blind statistics--we are talking about your friends, your neighbors, your sisters in Christ. We have the ability to abolish those statistics.   I want to see that 7 million turn into 0. It would be amazing to deplete that 20% to 0%. Love your sisters in Christ, girls, and lets help each other as we walk this road of life! 


Love,
 Claire












                   
     

2 comments:

  1. Claire, I am always so inspired and encouraged by your writing. I wish others could find what matters most, what is real and what is essential for the BIG PICTURE! I am so amazed at your heart. Love you so much!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Claire! YOU are beautiful, young lady! And not only are you gorgeous on the outside, but your inside SHINES! I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could find yours. :) It's adorable! I know God will use you in so many ways, and I can't wait to see just what He does. You are an inspiration. ♥

    ReplyDelete